Monday, October 22, 2007

Violence, anyone?

As a martial artist and a thinker, I often wonder what is the proper purpose and use of violence. I think that maybe some definitions will be needed. Let's check Merriam-Webster's:

"Pronunciation:
\ˈvī-lən(t)s, ˈvī-ə-\
Function:
noun
Date:
14th century

1 a: exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse (as in warfare effecting illegal entry into a house)

b: an instance of violent treatment or procedure

2: injury by or as if by distortion, infringement, or profanation : outrage

3 a: intense, turbulent, or furious and often destructive action or force

b: vehement feeling or expression : fervor; also : an instance of such action or feeling

c: a clashing or jarring quality : discordance

4: undue alteration (as of wording or sense in editing a text)"

Let's go with the first one here: exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse.

So that begs the question: when is it proper to exert physical force so as to injure someone?

ALL OF THE TIME!

Just kidding! What I can offer is only my opinion, but I will back it up for and leave you the reader to mull it over. I think it's proper in a few circumstances: immediate protection from harm of oneself and others, the protection of one's property, and justice.

Self protection and protection of others: In martial arts we are taught effective ways to hurt people. In advanced study, we are to taught deliver injury in degrees, meaning instead of killing someone in self-defense, we only have to render them unconscious or break a limb (for example). The issue here is that sometimes you can't run, and sometimes the law enforcement will not be there in time. No one has the right to impose bodily harm to you, no matter what you have done. By that I mean quite simply, I would never bother to try to justify kicking someone's ass that tried to hurt me. I feel it's my duty to stay healthy. It's not my duty to get my ass kicked. If I see someone being physically assaulted, and I feel I can safely intervene on that person's behalf, I will. Equally important to realize is that some people will assault your sensibilities. By this I mean that if you are acting really stupid, I might kick your ass over it. It's hard to give a hard and fast example of this, but I know for a fact that if someone ever insulted my mother in front of me, I would kick your ass. Your mind is just as important, if not more than your body. Assaults on your senses, on what you believe in, should not be taken lightly. I'm not advocating stabbing someone for stepping on your shoe, but I would immediately slap someone who referred to me using a slur, or if they insulted a lady in my company, or at least I would want to. That's just me.

Property rights and justice are coming soon. I want to get some sleep now.

2 comments:

Sam M said...

this would have been perfectly exemplified by a picture of heather slappin the crap out of that girl. but someone just had to be slackin on the photographer front, didn't they...

tisk tisk.

Autrelle, that's who. said...

Ha ha! You are absolutely right my friend - always the voice of reason.