Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How not to be sad

Sometimes I do things backwards. By that I mean, if I can't figure out exactly how to do something, I can usually figure out EXACTLY HOW NOT TO DO IT. For example, I can't tell you how to be happy. But, I can you how not to be sad.

Here's something that I learned a long time ago and I always forget:
Don't make your happiness so conditional.
Yet, we all do it everyday. If I get this job, I'll be happy. If so-and-so calls me, I'll be happy. What happens when you tell yourself these sort of things is that you program yourself to be unhappy if you don't get what you want. You don't always get what you want. There is no need to make yourself unhappy. Fight for your happiness! Lest it be torn from you by force, be happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point! Very well said! Might I also add that people need to remember to take responsibility for ALL of their emotions? It's a nail in the eye every time I hear the phrase "So & So MADE me angry!" etc.! No one can MAKE you feel any emotion! Time to grow up & own up, people. That's all, thanks!

Anonymous said...

The emotionalist thinks, "The good is that which will make me happy.:

The rationalist thinks, "I am made happy by that which is good."